I love fall, the flavours, the rooting and grounding we do, layering (clothes AND food), the holidays and the colours. I have never enjoyed all of the #PumpkinSpice and #PSL stuff going on. Love pumpkin, but straight up. Apples are my thing and this oatmeal is sure to please every palate AND with fresh local apples all around they just add that perfect crisp to this breakfast meal.
Makes 4 servings (*great to make ahead and have for the week!)
- 1 Cup Steel Cut Oats, cooked and cooled
- Pinch Salt
- 1⅓ Cups Plain Yogurt (I use 6% M.F.)
- ⅔ Cups Coconut Yogurt
- 1 Tbsp Psyllium Husk
- 1 Tbsp Ground Flaxseed
- 2 Tbsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Apple, shredded
- 2 Tbsp Unsweetened Large Flake Coconut
- 1 Apple, cubed
- 4 Tbsp Natural Peanut (or Almond) Butter
- 4 Tbsp Homemade Granola
- Make steel cut oatmeal on the stove top by boiling 2 Cups of water. Once boiled add a pinch of salt, the oatmeal and lower the heat to medium-low. Allow the oatmeal to simmer until the majority of the water is absorbed.
- Place the oatmeal in a large bowl and allow to cool (this may take a few hours).
- Once cooled, add in the yogurts, psyllium husk, ground flaxseed, ground cinnamon, shredded apple and unsweetened coconut. Mix well to thoroughly incorporate all ingredients.
- When you’re ready to enjoy, scoop out ¼ of the pre-mixed oatmeal, chop up some fresh apple pieces (I use about ¼ per portion), 1 Tbsp natural peanut butter and 1 Tbsp my Soft and Chewy Granola (The Best Mistake I Ever Made).