Calamari may be one of our favourite appetizers to order at a restaurant. Grilled or fried, it’s often a go-to to start a meal off with including protein and flavour! I figured since it’s such a go-to I would figure out how to make it at home, so that I know how it all goes down, and can whip it up whenever the crave hits! and O-M-G! So simple and delicious! Check out this recipe which is a win-win any time.
- 1 Lb Calamari Rings and Squid, fresh or thawed from frozen
- 2 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 4 Tbsp Olive Oil
- ½ Cup Cornmeal
- ½ Cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Fresh ground pepper
- Fresh Lemon wedges
- Fresh thyme or dill for garnish
For the Avocado Dipping Sauce
- 2 Ripe avocados
- ½ Cup Fresh thyme or dill
- ½ Lemon, juice from
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- Fresh cracked black pepper and salt
- Preheat oven to 400o
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Clean and rinse the calamari rings and/or squid, allowing to dry on paper-towel.
- Once dried, sprinkle with cornstarch and evenly coat.
- In a dish, combine the cornmeal, panko breadcrumbs, minced garlic, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the calamari rings and/or squid, tossing to evenly coat.
- Dip the pieces of calamari and/or squid in the cornmeal-panko mixture and place each piece on a baking sheet.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 22 minutes, turning the pieces over at the half-way point.
- While the fish is cooking, prepare the avocado dipping sauce. Combine all ingredients in a food processor. You may choose dill or thyme as your herb of choice, depending on the flavor profile you prefer! Once all ingredients are combined, scoop out into a bowl until the calamari are ready.
- Once the calamari are cooked, place on a dish, garnishing with fresh thyme or dill and fresh lemon wedges.